Saturday, November 24, 2007

El No-Paso

Yesterday afternoon a message came across the satellite system ordering me to El Paso with a trailer full of something-or-other. I was a bit tired, having come in from Waco a short while before, so I sweet-talked the dispatcher into giving me a couple more hours to run it, which would allow me to start early today and run it in.

The shortest, and best, way to run between Laredo and El Paso is to take a series of state highways that avoids San Antonio entirely:


View Larger Map

Until you reach I-10, the area you pass through is very rural and lightly populated... and the highways are 65 and 70 MPH most of the way. Just the kind of quick and easy run I like. I did the 600 mile trip in 9.25 driving hours, or 64.7 MPH the whole way.

The last third of the journey included a decent amount of snow falling. I recently purchased a video camera and I will upload some video soon if I can figure out how to make that work. Until then, there is this pic I took upon reaching our El Paso dropyard: