Friday, November 23, 2007

West Memphis to Waco, to Laredo

Yesterday I drove pretty much non-stop from West Memphis, Arkansas to Waco, Texas where I planned to enjoy a nice Thanksgiving meal at Hooters. Unfortunately, the bastards took the day off so I had a nice, but not as nice as I had hoped, meal at the Flying J truck stop.

The reason I even contemplated eating outside my truck was that CFI notified everyone they would reimburse you for a Thanksgiving meal up to $15. I like doing things just a bit differently than most others, so I figured submitting a $15 Hooters receipt would be right up my alley. Alas, no luck.

In order to make my arbitrary deadline in Laredo I had to be up at 0100 when I was still a bit groggy. After a couple hours I found a new Pilot that just opened north of San Antonio and pulled off to stop for a power nap. Fully refreshed, I breezed down to Laredo and was given the bad news that I needed to make my local delivery. I've been to the place before so finding it wasn't difficult, but I had to wait for an hour once I was there for them to open up for the day.