Monday, October 29, 2007

Good dispatch

The folks offloading the huge (4,000 lbs each) rolls of paper were very efficient and I was heading out about 30 minutes after I touched the dock. I went back to the interstate then north one exit to a T/A truck stop I knew was there, only to find they have a Popeye's chicken there and it was open! I got some early morning fried chicken... for some reason I've been craving Popeye's chicken recently.

Anyway, after an hour or so the word came down that I was to head southwest to Shepherdsville and pick up a two-drop load for the Linens & Things chain. I had dropped an empty at that particular DC before so I knew where it was. My new trailer was preloaded, which is great, and also in the middle of a large puddle of water, which isn't so great. I managed to hook up to it and get some air to release its brakes then carefully drag it with the gear still down to solid land. It is the little things that really make driving an adventure, I say.

So I spent the rest of my driving day cruising over to our terminal in West Memphis, Arkansas where I am calling it a night. The load can't deliver until Wednesday morning at 0600 at the first stop, so I have an easy 450 miles tomorrow to get into position. Between the deadhead and today's trip miles, it will be a 1,000 mile trip done in about two days which isn't bad at all.


View Larger Map