Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Dinner at Outback

I drove over to the nearest Outback Steakhouse for dinner and noticed a Conway truck parked in back, so I parked next to them. When I walked up to the building just before opening, I met Larry and Nancy who drive team for Conway and we had a pleasant dinner together.

Many of the things particular to CFI haven't been explained well to our new Conway folks... for instance, getting home for Christmas, the Christmas bonus, firing a fleet manager, who to talk to if you are having problems with someone, etc. Also, the way our satellite communications works (with many individual messages) is quite alien to their experience and somewhat exasperating.

They haven't heard of CFIDrivers.com so I pointed them in that direction to get more information about the company than I could provide. They have a cat that looks a lot like my cat Mala:



Mala was the most people-friendly cat I've ever known... slept under the covers with me almost every night and loved to be around people. She died in 2000 and I miss her still.

UPDATE: I also met up with my finisher, Rich, while I was here at the terminal earlier. He's been getting great miles and it sounds like he is going to be teaming with a friend soon for some coast-to-coast dedicated runs. Lucky bum! Apparently I was his last student, so it is true I broke that mold :)