Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Bud-wei-ser

I find myself dispatched to carry a load from the Budweiser plant in Fort Collins, Colorado, to Olathe, Kansas, then on to a second destination. The trip is about 680 miles and I have today and tomorrow to get it there, then I deliver the following morning at the two stops.

The plant itself is large with hundreds and hundreds of trailers coming or going. There are also rail tracks that head directly into the building from their own private spur to get bulk loads of the raw materials to make the beer.

Tractors are weighed after they drop off their empty trailers, so the dock workers know how much they can load on to the trailer that you'll be pulling (different trailer, most likely). My tractor weighs about 19,200 lbs with almost full fuel tanks and me aboard. I blame Blaze for putting us over 19,000 lbs; she doesn't seem to be all that bothered by my dissatisfaction.