Sunday, February 3, 2008

Will the wind ever stop?

Today's drive from Eloy, Arizona to Ontario, California took less than seven hours, including the time I spent fueling up just before I crossed into the golden state. There was a bit of rain as I drove closer to the greater Los Angeles area, which turned into a huge downpour the last 40 miles or so. Fortunately, it being a Sunday morning, there wasn't much traffic around. For Los Angeles, at least.

But there sure was wind. Even way out in the desert east of Palm Springs it was gusty, and for the umpteenth day in a row my truck rocked back and forth as I made my way safely into town. I've been all over the US going back many years and I don't ever recall so much sustained wind over such a long period of time.

At least it is overcast and rainy here in the LA basin. California's new anti-idling law took effect January 1, 2008 which allows us trucker types a whopping five minutes per hour to idle our trucks. When it is 95 degrees out I would love to see one of the ignorant prats who came up with the laws locked into the sleeper of a truck for ten hours of "rest" and allowed five minutes per hour to idle the rig.