Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Crowder Skid Pad

Last Friday I returned to my trucking alma mater Crowder College to shoot some stills and video while their skid pad was put through its paces. When I trained with them in November 2006 the skid pad wasn't being used because of persistent droughts. Since then, they have installed a 1.3 million gallon pond and pumping equipment so they don't have to rely on the local water supply.



The skid pad itself is a large area of smooth concrete, surrounded by a number of irrigation pumps and nozzles to flood various areas so the trucks hydroplane and lose traction.



During the course of videotaping, I took position a bit too close to the action... as you can see in this short clip:



I have hundreds of pics and 25 minutes of video I shot. When I get time I'll see if I can get some of the highlights uploaded.