Monday, December 10, 2007

Dirty sucks

Dirty, in trucker slang, refers to the eastern part of the US. I arrived in the "dirty" town of Dunbar, West Virginia this morning only to find incredibly narrow streets, small or non-existent signage and a few dead ends I had to back out of. At one point, I was near my destination but on the wrong side of the railroad tracks and the crossings were, I kid you not, five or six feet over street grade. Imagine driving a rig over a pyramid and you get the picture.

Thank goodness for the GPS. After each turn into new forbidden territory it recalculated the best route for me towards my goal. After a long process of trial and error, I finally made it to a long, narrow street with a tight left turn and shortly thereafter to my consignee.

Naturally, since I'm not due until tomorrow morning they aren't sure if or when they can work me in today. They have the paperwork and I'm out in the truck playing around on the internet.

And dreading trying to get back out to the interstate.

UPDATE: Here is a picture of one of the railroad crossings I had to avoid: