Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Delay, delay, delay

Yesterday morning started with a lengthy delay at the beer distributor as I waited in a line of trucks waiting to be loaded or unloaded. Afterwards, I went back to the local truck stop and attempted my patented system to ensure a quick dispatch (shutting the truck down, putting up my window coverings, taking off my clothes and getting into bed for a short nap).

Wouldn't you know it, I got buzzed almost immediately. Must be something to it.

I was sent to Albuquerque, New Mexico to the local Goodwill center to take a load down to El Paso, Texas. About 200 miles deadhead to pick up, and about 240 to deliver. All in a day's work, I thought.


View Larger Map

When I arrived at the center they were undertaking a fire drill of some sort, but shortly thereafter I picked up a new trailer loaded with used clothes and did my pre-trip. Oh lordy.

One of the tires was flat. One of the mudflaps was missing. And one of the axle seals was leaking oil.

The first two are things the previous driver should have noted. The trailer had been there the better part of a week, and we have service companies that will come out and fix up such things for us. But noooo, easier for the next driver to spend his or her time taking care of it.

I went to the local truck stop and got in line for the repair bays. And waited. And waited. Eventually, I was next in line and got inside, and its break time. Then the local grease monkeys were fiddling with a truck in the next bay.

Some three hours later the tire was fixed (bad valve stem), the mudflap was replaced and the oil seal was patched up. By this time it was 4:00 local time and the traffic was starting to back up, so I quickly made my way south out of the city and drove as far as Anthony, Texas, right at the Texas / New Mexico border before shutting down.

A very long day, with delay after delay.