Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Spelunking

Yesterday I loaded in a giant underground cave system in Independence, Missouri. The caves were produced by salt mining and have since been altered to suit the warehousing industry, with roads, buildings and all sorts of other things inside.

After arriving on site, outside, I was given a phone number to call for a loading dock number and directions. The directions were somewhat cryptic but I wrote them down as best I could then made my way inside.

View all Spelunking pics


Many of these photos are jerky, possibly from my truck moving and possibly from my hands shaking.





The dock I had was tight and the columns of salt that remain to hold up the roof also do a good job of limiting visibility when you are trying to back up a big rig. It took me about 10 minutes of jockeying around to get my trailer lined up properly at the designated door.



Here you can see the nose of the tractor next to mine, beyond the next salt pillar, with his nose sticking out into the "street", same as mine.



A rather grandiose name for this distributor: