Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Slow, long slog

Today was a boring, slow, slog type of day that I just wanted to be over as soon as possible (eg when my hours ran out). Heading from Kansas City to Atchison, then reversing course to head east took a long time on small state highways and country roads and even the simple process of getting my truck weighed and the weight adjusted took 30 minutes at the craptastic Flying J in Kansas City off of I-435.

I drove and drove and drove and the miles slowly went by along I-70 across Missouri, then finally through St. Louis during the evening rush hour and into Illinois to finish out the day. For some reason I thought I was further north and I would be going by our authorized fuel stop in Bloomington, Illinois to fill up but reality intruded and apparently I'm not. I'm going to try to squeeze what I have left in the tanks to get me just inside Kentucky to our stop in Paducah. I have friends who live there but I won't have any time this trip to stop for anything but fuel.

My load is 43,620 pounds of some sort of flour product in case anyone cares.