Monday, September 24, 2007

The Global War on Terre... Haute?

Apparently, the good citizens of Terre Haute, Indiana are about to be menaced by my 18 wheeler. My satellite unit just went off with the news that I need to deadhead there by 6 PM tonight, which should at least help my fuel economy compared to the 42,000 lbs I just got rid of.

Alas, I have to cross the molasses-like state of Illinois at 55 MPH for most of the day...


View Larger Map

Today I am making use of a little-used (and difficult to use correctly, I might add) provision of the Hours of Service called the Split Sleeper berth rule. Basically, instead of taking 10 consecutive hours off, I will take eight hours "now" (from 1 AM to 9 AM this morning) then another two later. The rule is kind of funky to follow correctly, and I'm only attempting it because I use the computerized log book software called Driver's Daily Log. Highly recommended, by the way.