Saturday, August 18, 2007

Waiting on UPS

I was given a load last night from El Paso to Memphis, Tennessee and I got the pickup rescheduled for this morning at 6 AM. I arrive 40 minutes early to find the gate at the UPS border transfer lot chained shut and no hours of operation posted anywhere. A quick chat with the CFI overnight crew and I'm told that they will be open around 8 AM. Also that they ordinarily send over one of our guys to shuttle the loaded trailers up to our yard a few miles away and they didn't know what made me so special to have to come down here by the border to pick up this load.

Lucky me.

UPDATE: It turns out that there are actually two separate locations, side-by-side. One is used for traffic going south and consists of a locked lot with a transfer warehouse and about 20 doors, the other is an open lot that runs 24/7 with loaded trailers and a guard in a shack. I eventually found the guard, his shack, my trailer and the paperwork and got the heck out of dodge.