Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Long wait, again

Well it turns out even though we had two trailers stashed at the shipper beforehand they still took four hours to get one loaded and the paperwork taken care of. I finally shoved off at 10 AM and ran back over to Joplin to use the scales at our terminal to make sure I had the weight distributed legally.

I decided to take a more direct route through Kansas than what CFI suggested. The first hour or so was fairly congested and slow but after that it sped up to a respectable 65. Once I got to Wichita I turned on to an interstate and made even better time.

My fuel use today was horrendous due to the heavy load and a severe headwind. I'll know tomorrow when I fuel but I may be around 4 MPG for the day, well under my 6.1 average.

Damn hot too: over 103 degrees in Kansas as I was moving down the interstate, and even after 6 PM it is still over 100 degrees.

I stopped in Colby, KS, about 220 miles away from the consignee. They have weird hours for unloading (5 AM to 7 AM local) and it will be a very tight run to make it in on time, given that I can't start running again until 3 AM central time and will have to fuel between here and there.

UPDATE: I got a call from a load planner at CFI headquarters asking if I can make it to the Phelps Dodge mine up in the Rockies west of Denver by 10 AM local time. Unfortunately, since I don't know if my current load can actually be delivered tomorrow (it isn't supposed to deliver until Thursday) I couldn't commit to it. I went to this mine late last winter and it is wayyyyy the heck up there... something like 12,500 feet or so.