Thursday, July 5, 2007

The good and the bad

I hightailed it down the road 80 miles into the San Francisco area to pick up the load; it turns out it was a "live load", meaning I pulled up to the dock and they started putting stuff in my trailer. This process took five hours and forty-five minutes to complete. I asked several times about the wait and was lied to twice. Such fun.

Eventually they let me depart and I made my way to the nearest freeway. It turns out that I-580 in some spots doesn't allow trucks heavier than four tons and they make you take an offramp at one point. Then about a half mile later, there is an on ramp to the same freeway with no "no truck" sign. I took this and noticed there weren't any other trucks in traffic with me and made my way out to I-5 then south. I passed one flatbed truck pulled over by the local police folks taking a ticket for something.

I wanted to get further but only managed 320 miles today, ending at Lost Hills, CA. I will be up first thing in order to put as much as California behind me as possible before the left coasters awaken and swarm out to their jobs, clogging the roads.