Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Stuck in Denver

I made it up to the Pepsi plant in Denver ahead of schedule and after two-and-a-half hours they had me loaded, bill signed and seal on the trailer. It had been raining on and off for an hour or so and as I left it intensified quite a bit.

I drove just over a mile down the freeway to our fuel stop, a Pilot, and by the time I got there the sky was just dumping rain by the bucket. There was probably 3 or 4 inches of rain in 20 minutes on the ground, along with a heaping helping of hail. All this while I'm trying to fuel and get my load scaled. Suffice it to say I was soaked from head to foot.

The Pilot is next to I-70 and it flooded over badly, bringing traffic to a stop. Truckers reported standing water over a foot deep on the interstate, and there were some collisions as well.

Because I started my day at 10 AM today, I can't work past midnight. Between the deadhead up here, the long load time, fueling, scaling and the storm I won't be able to make Albuquerque before my 14 hour clock runs out and I will have to take a break. So, my 2 AM appointment goes by the wayside. Our crack team at HQ are on the case and will let me know.

View All Paging Noah in Denver pics

UPDATE: I will be staying put for the next ten hours then heading out very early to deliver in Albuquerque around 10 AM, weather allowing.

Odd sighting: I saw not one but two snow plows roll by on I-70. Its almost June.