Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Blocked, and blocked

This morning when I woke up I noticed I was blocked in by other trucks. During the night a number of trucks had some and parked "ghetto" style taking up every nook and cranny of the parking lot. Unfortunately, there were about a dozen of us in a line who were unable to make a tight right turn around one truck and since I was first out I had to wake someone up to move their truck. He was a pleasant young guy working for Knight and I eventually maneuvered through the mess and got out to the street.

I-40 across North Carolina is in pretty bad shape. Lots of potholes and rough areas. Plus three weigh stations -- none of which with Prepass so I had to enter each of them! Lines were pretty long in each case, even though it was 5-7 AM.

Arrived in Browns Summit, NC about 9 AM eastern time for a 10 AM delivery. Got a message as I was pulling up that Proctor and Gamble was running short of the stuff on my trailer and I was to work with them to get it into a door for unloading ASAP. Finding the right P&G warehouse was a bit trying (its tough driving by a big warehouse with your customer's logo on it, no matter what the directions may say...) but eventually I arrived and sure enough they had me crack it open and back it into a door.

CFI had preplanned an empty trailer at this location for pickup, but the folks here decided I needed to help them by taking a different trailer at a different door instead. I sent in my empty call with the new trailer number and fired up the laptop. Thank goodness this part of NC has heard of the internet!

After a few hours, I checked my board status online via our employee site and was alarmed to find that I wasn't on the board. I called my dispatcher and she nonchalantly mentioned that was because I didn't enter the trailer number they had assigned so the system didn't put me on the board automatically. I wish "the system" would at least send a message to this effect instead of relying on guessing on my part. If I didn't have a laptop and internet access I guess I would have remained here until someone noticed that truck in NC not moving, with no load.