Saturday, March 31, 2007

On my way to Davenport, Iowa

I got up early this morning and went on the board. For the non truckers out there, this means I told dispatch (which in this case was local Joplin dispatch since I'm at a terminal) that I was ready to accept a load, and pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top make it a nice long one. After a few hours my truck made it to the top of the list and I had my choice of five loads to take... two to Iowa, two to Illinois and one up to Canada. I chose one to Davenport, Iowa, which turned out to be about 27,000 pounds of toner cartridges. It is due to deliver first thing Monday morning and the company allows overnight parking on their property, so I will drive up there tomorrow and spend the night there so I'm unloaded first thing.

The trailer that had been dropped off with said cargo needed some TLC in the trailer shop and I spent the rest of the morning cleaning, vacuuming and sorting stuff in my truck. I would like to get the bunch of stuff I have on the top bunk whittled down to a few items that will fit up there while the bunk is in the "up" position so I get more room while I'm puttering around. Alas, in my T600 this is easier said than done.

I had lunch with Bob (Turtle) and happened to meet up with our mutual friends Andy, Charles (CRB) and Shelly (CRB Wifey) when we got back to CFI. Much trucker talk ensued until I had to break away to get my trailer and head up the road.

I drove about an hour towards Springfield, MO, which isn't the most direct route I could have taken but it did leave me about ten miles from my brother's house so we got together for dinner and I grabbed 140 more television shows off of my Tivo to watch while I'm on the road. So much better than having a TV and being forced to watch whatever dreck happens to be playing when I shut down for the night.