Friday, February 1, 2008

The early bird gets the wheels to turn

I got moving at 0200 this morning to see if I would get lucky at the beer plant. Turns out my new, fully loaded trailer had just been brought out from production and was waiting for me when I arrived. After only 30 minutes I had my old trailer dropped, the new one hooked, inspected, load straps in place, sealed, locked and paperwork in hand ready to hit the road. Doesn't get any faster than that, in my book.

Running west, the concern was that I wouldn't get through San Antonio before the morning rush started. Without stopping, it took me until 0545 to reach the northern perimeter road but traffic was still light at that hour. Thirty minutes later, I was on I-10 on the west side watching a cavalcade of traffic heading back to where I had just been. Sucks to be them.

I drove for ten hours today, stopping at Van Horn, Texas for the night. I'm not a huge fan of this particular Pilot truck stop but I get free showers because we fuel with them. Yes, I can shower for free anywhere by paying for it and getting reimbursed, but that means paperwork and delay.

The load is due in El Paso about 120 miles ahead of me tomorrow morning at 0800 mountain time. An easy chip shot from here.


View Larger Map