Thursday, December 6, 2007

KC to Joplin to West Memphis

It seems I am destined to bounce between our various terminals and drop yards, for today at least.

I picked up the very same load I was asked to pick up last night this morning instead... there wasn't any problem there -- the trailer was pre-loaded and ready to go as soon as I dropped off my empty. It turns out it is a load of just over 100,000 aluminum cans for some product or other (could be beer, soup, energy drinks, or who-knows-what). Added bonus: it only weighs 7,300 lbs.

The trip down to Joplin was easy, with a nice sunrise. I have pics but I'm too tired to upload them tonight. Anyway, got to Joplin, didn't have to put my tractor in the shop (yay, it still goes 70 when I need it to!), purchased my new load lock, and saw my dispatcher and some other folks I know.

Eventually, I headed south and since I was going by Crowder College I stopped and chatted for a bit with the instructors and a few new students. I watched a lady do her very first back in a big rig and it turns out she was familiar with both the CFIdrivers.com site and this one from doing her research before getting in to trucking. Good advice for everyone. Reading this blog, at least!

Afterwards I drove south to Arkansas and caught up with I-40 and took that all the way in to our terminal in West Memphis.

Today was mostly interstates and 70 MPH state routes. Tomorrow I will be doing a lot of back-road driving in Alabama and Georgia which is always a hoot and a hollar in a big rig.