Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Icy mush

I was up and running as soon as I could under the Hours of Service regulations this morning, and sighed a sigh of relief when I made it to the east side of Indianapolis, Indiana just before 0600 so I could get on the board as instructed.

Then I waited, and waited.

After almost four hours, the buzzer went off and I was told to run up to Grabill, Indiana to pick up a load of PACCAR products bound for Georgia. PACCAR is the company that makes Kenworth and Peterbuilt, so these are things like hoods, doors and the like.

On the way up to the shipper the temperature went from mid 40's to low 30's in the span of about ten minutes. Plenty of snow in the fields alongside the highways, and a nice, cleansing, light rain falling. Fortunately, it didn't get below freezing so while it is slippery for someone with an empty trailer, it isn't impossible.


View Larger Map

I'm waiting to get loaded now. I would ordinarily dance a jig for a light load, but running on ice, slush and snow calls for something with a bit more heft. Hopefully I can get out of here early enough I can run back south below Indy and avoid the freeze tonight.

UPDATE: Almost stuck not once but twice in the slushy parking lot of this place. Thank goodness I went through this mess last year and have a couple ideas of how to get a truck unstuck!