Friday, November 9, 2007

Splatterfest

Truck drivers see a lot of dead animals on and alongside the road. I've seen dogs, cats, armadillos, birds of all descriptions, pigs, rabbits, coyotes and just about anything else that moves from one place to another.

Ordinarily, you pass the poor carcass by. Perhaps even avert your eyes, if only to check to make certain the recirculate option is selected for the HVAC system. This morning, however, I ran across the most egregious example yet of this brand of vehicular mayhem: some poor animal splattered the full width of a lane and chunks of pulp that went on for a football field or so. It was dark and around a bend in the road so I, along with the vehicle that originally hit the poor thing, didn't really have time to move aside once finding myself rolling through its remains.

I only hope the mistake is mine and a truck hauling a considerable amount of very rare roast beef has arrived at his destination only to find most of it vanished out the back door.

Total splatterfest.

Anyway, I made it to the Walmart DC here in Delaware. Turns out my GPS didn't have it, so before I left I looked it up using Google maps then panned my GPS to the right spot and put down a virtual marker there, then used that as my destination. This works very well for any big building, which stands out like a sore thumb in aerial shots:


View Larger Map

I spoke with my fleet manager last night, asking plaintively (I even sniveled!) for a nice, long, relaxing, high-paying, not-much-thought-involved weekend run. My last three trips have been 600, 300 and 400 miles long and it is time for a change.