Thursday, October 11, 2007

Trouble getting it up

... and running.

"It" being the truck, naturally.

Last night I shut down at a rest area just south of Fort Worth, Texas along I-35W. When I got up this morning, I did my pre-trip then tried to start the engine. It gave a couple wimpy coughs then decided it didn't want to play any more and stayed off.

I tried a few things but it didn't resolve the problem so Road Service was called and a truck was sent out to give me a jump start. It took a while for the batteries to get enough charge to turn over the engine, even with the cables still in place from the batteries on the repair truck.

Eventually everything sorted itself out and I moseyed down the road. I averaged an impressive 8.3 MPG with this Conway trailer and about 15,000 lbs of cargo... more than I can remember getting with a CFI trailer and any kind of load.

The trailer itself had a curious tire malady... one of the tires was completely bald with a lot of scuff marks and two others were marginal. Our shop replaced all three before I left, but I don't understand how the thing got through the inspection bay in the first place... the bald tire was very obvious.