Saturday, October 27, 2007

Pimps and Hos

I try to avoid posting when I'm good and steamed, and yesterday was a good example of this principle in action.

My truck wouldn't start (again) after less than seven hours off so I got my early-morning service call and jump start. A quick trip to the fuel island filled the tanks, followed by a short trip across the greater Birmingham area to the Conway terminal where I dropped my empty.

After about 90 minutes waiting, my trailer was ready and I got the paperwork. Turns out it was another of those skirt-side Conway trailers with the electric landing gear. Slow as molasses getting those things raised up.

I motored over to Atlanta where the traffic was moving just fine at 9 AM on a Friday! I had a couple slowdowns but that was it, and soon enough I was shooting out the south side on I-75 with a clear path down to Orlando, where I arrived about six hours later. I get the paperwork signed off on and time stamped and a door assigned, and soon enough the trailer is off my truck and I head over to the sandy empty trailer lot and hook up to one of our empties and park it for my 10 hour break.

Not.

A short while after I'm parked a guy driving around one of the yard dogs comes over and beeps at me and I give him the scare of his young life, appearing from the back dressed only in my tidy whities. When he has his breath back, he informs me that our corporate masters (hereinafter referred to as "Pimps") have decreed that OTR drivers can't park on any of OUR property here in lovely Orlando. So I (hereinafter referred to as a "Ho") get to take my unwanted self outside the fence and park along the street.

This is complete bunk. They have plenty of room in the back lot where, I might add, they park a dozen or more of their local bobtails. I could see possibly not allowing OTR drivers from other companies the right to park on the Pimp's property, but we are the same freaking company! Conway owns CFI now!

I briefly considered telling Conway to shove off and if they cared so much about it they could get a wrecker in to tow me off of their our lot, but in the end I moved.

Pimps and hos.