Monday, October 22, 2007

Houston a pussycat, the rest of I-10 a tiger!

I got up at my usual early hour to find Houston deserted (thank goodness), with only the very end of a freeway closure westbound on I-10 to worry about on the way through.

An hour or so later my truck was being buffeted by high winds and rain blown so hard from the north that it was almost horizontal. This continued in spurts all the rest of the way to San Antonio then for a short while south of there before the cloud pattern changed (and I finally broke through the frontal barrier that was causing the squalls).

Traffic in Laredo was much worse, and a very high percentage of it semis. It took almost fifteen minutes to make it through one stop light to a turn I had to make. I eventually got to my consignee, got the paperwork signed off and dropped the trailer for them to pick over.

I wasn't planning on getting on the board immediately when I returned but the too-helpful local dispatcher did it for me. No matter: I'm 67th on the list.