Thursday, October 25, 2007

Back and forth...

This morning I delivered at my consignee a few minutes late when my truck decided it wouldn't start (again, for those reading back a week or two). Thank goodness it was where I parked and not at the consignee or there would have been a hemorrhage or two when I couldn't move.

After a few hours of waiting I was dispatched to our Atlanta yard with my now empty trailer to drop it then bobtail back to Birmingham to pick up a trailer that was just repaired at the local Great Dane shop.


View Larger Map

Then, my satellite unit started beeping and buzzing and making all kinds of interesting sounds and I thought my eyes must be deceiving me:

I received a string of pre-plans. Plural!

I couldn't believe it. The next four days are laid out thusly:

Friday: Run a Conway load from the Birmingham area down to Orlando and drop it off (drop and hook on both ends... yah!)

Saturday and Sunday: Grab a load about 90 miles from Orlando and run it up to Kentucky.

Monday: deliver first thing in the morning.

It isn't the most miles I could have hoped for, but given my relative lack of hours it is more than I was expecting, by a wide margin. It includes an all-too-rare Saturday load, and even the Conway run is a good one for me: starts early in the morning (0530) and is almost 600 miles for the day.

The only real negative is that I'll have to brave the Atlanta morning rush hour traffic:


View Larger Map

Tonight I'm parked at the Birmingham Pilot truck stop, quite possibly the bottom of the rung of Pilot truck stops. The parking is awful, the fuel island impassable, the entrance and exits backed up... the list goes on. The parking is tight enough I almost scraped a mirror tonight; rare for me that I'm ever that close.