Tuesday, October 16, 2007

660 miles in 10.75 driving hours

Even though I spent most of the morning in the 55 MPH hell of Illinois, I still managed a respectable 660 miles down the road today, leaving me with an easy 530 for tomorrow and the following morning when I deliver.

I wasn't going to push so hard today but as I was mapping out my driving strategy for this run I realized I needed to get as close as possible to Atlanta today so I can be up early-early tomorrow morning and get in and out the south side before the roads congeal with traffic.

I made several pit stops at rest areas today, and at one I got fairly upset. Someone had dropped off abandoned two juvenile cats who were both obviously house trained and unfamiliar with being left outside. They both came over with their tails up when I walked near and it was difficult not stopping for a while to pet them or try to rescue them myself. I thought that maybe I had some old cat treats left over in the truck and searched, but no luck. It also happens that I didn't have any cold cuts or the like with me on this trip, which was a bit upsetting.

If you get a pet, realize they aren't disposable. Spay and neuter them and care for them, and if you can't continue care find someone who will. Abandoning them along a freeway earns you a lot of bad Karma and it will come back around one day.