Monday, September 17, 2007

You can keep Kentucky

As a trucker, you know right off the bat when a town is over 100 miles from the interstate that getting there is going to be a bitch. It took me three hours of creeping up extremely steep grades, then using my Jakes and brakes down the other side, winding and weaving my way up narrow state highways to get to Hazard, Kentucky. In short, it sucked.

The beer distributor in Hazard was difficult to get to, with very narrow residential streets and two active railroad tracks to get in and out. Both sides of my trailer got scraped by trees, and believe me, I was taking the corners as wide as possible.

Naturally, a remote spot like that didn't have any Sprint access so I have been cut off for a day.

On the way west from Hazard I almost got caught in a random truck inspection spot by a pair of Kentucky D.O.T. folks. The truck in front of me got to speak with them, and I got waved on.

The Route From Hell:


View Larger Map