Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Off to Kansas City in a Peculiar fashion

When I boarded this morning I was immediately given the choice between two loads: a trip out to New Jersey that delivered in four days, or a trip just up the road to Kansas City, Missouri which delivered tomorrow. I chose the load to KC which let me spend the morning relaxing, having a nice lunch, shopping for the truck and returning my rental car.

Once I was ready, I went to local dispatch and picked up the Bill of Lading for the load. Turns out to be a load of Continental tires going to a Ford plant. Fairly heavy and, like most tire loads, the sides of the trailer are bulging out due to the way they are loaded.

I found one of my headlights out during my walk around so I brought it over to the shop and they hooked me up with a pair of new, brighter ones. Amazingly, the CFI system showed my truck having a CAT engine instead of my Cummins; they checked, and indeed I do have a Cummins. How this went undetected for several years is puzzling.

The terminal was fading away in the distance by 2:30 PM and I stopped a bit short tonight in the curiously-named town of Peculiar, Missouri, thus the title of this post. I originally intended to drive up to a Flying J truck stop a few miles from the consignee but the last few times I've been there I have been pestered by the resident lot lizard, and I don't care for their parking lot. I'm about 30 miles out so I will have plenty of time for a good run tomorrow if I get one.

I also spoke to my new fleet manager, Amanda. I was with the previous one for almost nine months and wanted a switch.