Saturday, September 29, 2007

Off to Indiana, with a scare

I managed to snag an empty trailer at the Walmart DC I dropped at yesterday and got on the board, and shortly I was given a deadhead back up to our Atlanta drop yard (wasn't I just there?) then to take a full trailer up to Carmel, Indiana.

The trip up to Atlanta was mostly I-75, though there was a good amount of traffic most of the way. About a hundred miles into Georgia there was yet another construction zone which had the two right lanes of a three-lane highway shut so everyone got funneled to the left lane.

They had just recently paved the left lane and there was drop off of about three inches of asphalt on the far left. The cones were arranged such that you had to run your left tires on the shoulder and your right ones on the fresh asphalt.

When I got to that point I was minding my business and obeying the speed limit and all of a sudden my tractor drops off to the left rather abruptly. I swerve back to the right and get off the accelerator only to see my trailer follow me over then violently whip four or five feet further to the left. If I had given it a touch of acceleration instead it would have kept the trailer in line by taking out the "slack" between us. A slight overcorrection or two caused my trailer to oscillate behind me both left and right which brought my heart up into my throat for safe keeping.

Anyway, I made it through without a scratch though there may be a new skid mark or two in the Fruit of the Looms.

Here is my route for today and tomorrow:


View Larger Map