Friday, August 24, 2007

The sweat off my brow



After my second drop this morning my trailer was empty. Well, nearly empty. You see, the 31,000 pounds of glass windows that were offloaded from said trailer were held in place by hundreds of pounds of dunnage (dunnage is a term used to describe things that hold cargo in place, like straps, chains, lumber, rope, etc.). In this case, probably 400 pounds of brand new pine 2x4's of various lengths and perhaps a hundred pounds of cardboard.

It turns out the consignee for the second part of the load didn't want any of this stuff so they left it for me in the trailer, which I took to Franklin, Wisconsin for my next pickup. Before I dropped that trailer I had to clean it out, which meant finding a home for all of this scrap wood and cardboard. I asked the local Con-Way folks for whom I will shortly be hauling a load if they had any need for this stuff and they said nope, go thataway to the dumpsters and take care of it.

View all Dunnage Destruction pics


That particular dumpster was empty when I began.



The cardboard from the load fit into this dumpster.

All told it was another hour or so of unpaid work to take care of this. I'm very thankful it was an overcast day and only about 80 degrees out. If the temperatures were extreme it would be quite a miserable job.