Friday, August 3, 2007

Ah, irony

Turns out, my damaged "trailor" really did sustain some damage as I was driving through eastern Texas. One of the holders that keeps the air lines going back to the trailer tandems suspended safely broke and the air hoses were able to drop down far enough they eventually wore through on the road surface. I heard the sound of air escaping and was able to pull off on to the very narrow shoulder before my air brakes could lock up (as a safety measure, when your air system loses pressure the brakes set).

I lucked out with a rest area about a mile in front of me so after building up air pressure I quickly set off and managed to make it before I lost enough pressure to require stopping again. Road service and my fleet manager are notified, the service folks are on their way and I'm here surfing the web for a few hours.

Here are the air hoses in question:
View all Breakdown in Texas pics


Here is the spring assembly in question... the broken part looks like a squiggly line:


UPDATE: After 90 minutes the road service folks have the air lines jury rigged well enough to make it to Laredo where they will be redone by the folks in the shop there.