Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I just love it when it all comes together like this

So I've been on this six-day marathon of a trip, warned repeatedly that I shouldn't even think about arriving ahead of schedule because they won't take loads early and I shouldn't ask. Naturally, I arrive early expecting to wait until my assigned 0700 unload time only to find the warehouse guys happy to take my shipment off of me just as soon as I can get my truck backed up. Oh, and they are open 7/24 so I could have done this, say, last weekend.

After they take off the nine pallets of copper tubing, nine pallets of scrap copper get reloaded into the same positions inside the trailer and I head over to the shipping department to get a Bill of Lading typed up to make it all legal.

Since I can't deliver this load to Fort Wayne, Indiana ahead of tomorrow's scheduled 0800 delivery, I take my time driving down from Wisconsin, though Illinois then into the wilds and back roads of Indiana. My GPS had some fun at my expense and took me through the small Valparaiso (sp?) college campus to a road that didn't exist and I had a very tight turn to make to get out of there. Eventually I got it sorted out and back on the correct path to the rural highway I wanted and ended the day in Plymouth, Indiana.

Even though it was probably 40 miles out of route, it would have been easier and more efficient to have simply taken I-80 over to I-69 then south to Fort Wayne. Lesson learned, again.