Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Using the heavy equipment now, hoo-ahh!

I arrived just early enough to not annoy the folks at the SBC warehouse -- hard to see how anyone would do that with as laid back as they were. Anyway, I was the only truck there so I took a door and they pointed me at an electric pallet jack and went off to squander time however they normally do.

It took me a few minutes to remember the ins and outs of one of these beasts. This was a walk-along model (they had larger kinds you ride as well, but not for the random trucker that comes in to deliver). They showed me how they wanted them arranged on the dock and one by one the twenty-two pallets got extricated from the bowels of the trailer. Hot, sweaty bowels, I might add: it was around 100 degrees when I arrived.

Each pallet had a huge roll (perhaps three feet in diameter) of SBC billing forms or some such and weighed almost a ton. These are designed to feed into high speed automated printing systems.

After a total of about 40 minutes I was done and got the paperwork signed off. Before I had arrived I had a preplan for Medford, OR. I am to pick up a load of beer in Fairfield, CA about 45 miles away tomorrow morning and deliver it Friday morning. The crack addict that has me picking up at 0900 just off of I-80 on a weekday will be disappointed to learn I will be there at least three hours earlier to avoid the traffic.

Blaze has been very quiet and resting comfortably, as only cats can. She did throw up a small amount early this morning which prompted me to clean the carpets... again. I still have a lot of laundry to do with her vomit stains on them. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.