Friday, June 8, 2007

I'm a Lazy Boy

Those that know me know my lazy side, but actually I'm referring to the load I picked up at our Joplin yard this morning, from the local Lazy-Boy factory. It was the only one heading out west (alternatives including an oh-so-special run up to Ontario, Canada or New York), and it has two drops on Monday, in Tucson and Phoenix.

Unfortunately for the Forces of Laziness, a big red stamp on the dispatch envelope reads "Driver must tailgate load." In other words, I get to push the boxes from the front end of the trailer where they are loaded to the back, where the furniture folks will take over.

I woke up at 5 AM and by 5:45 I was awake, hooked up, fueled, inspected and on the road. Some 620 miles later, I backed into a spot at a truck stop in Santa Rosa, NM.

The timing of this load will allow me to get in a 34 hour reset if I arrive in Tucson tomorrow. Santa Rosa is almost exactly half way and the trip today was no problem, so hopefully I will arrive in Tucson in the early afternoon.

After a few days without puking, Blaze came out swinging with three different blobs this morning. Alas, I noticed two until I carefully stepped into the third one. Socks really do experience their own little slice of hell out here on the road. I cleaned up the mess, threw out her bowl of Science Diet and opened a new bag, replaced her water and growled threateningly at her. None of this seemed to interest her, and her appetite remains good.