Sunday, May 6, 2007

Massacre along the highway

Today I saw an extraordinary number of dead critters alongside (and in the middle of) the road. Racoons, a skunk, several deer, several cats, at least three dogs, several small birds, a chicken (to answer the obvious: doesn't matter why it was crossing the road any more) and a small pig. I saw a young deer spring from the forest a few hundred feet in front of me, bound across the road, leap across the jersey barriers... and meet the bumper of a big rig headed the other direction. Verdict: big rig 1, deer 0.

Today I drove from the middle part of New York to our terminal on the outskirts of Detroit, Michigan. I have about 180 miles yet to go, and over 30 hours to do it in. I may just make it in time. Hopefully I can reach someone there tomorrow and get them to take the load early.

"NO TRUCKERS WERE HARMED DURING THE PRODUCTION OF THIS BLOG"