Monday, May 7, 2007

Grand Rapids, MI

I decided to show up at the consignee this afternoon and see if they would take the load early... just getting to them was a huge issue as the roads in the area were ripped up with construction, so several detours were in order. Eventually I made it through and they were happy to unload me immediately. Twenty minutes later and I'm done.

There is one truck stop of note in this town; my GPS lead me to the wrong Mobil station to start with but eventually I consulted some online help and found the "real" one. There was quite a lot of truck parking and even late afternoon it was all filled, so I circled the lot with a half dozen other drivers. Eventually, someone pulled out and I was able to quickly claim the spot and start backing in. It was tight, but a friendly driver pulled his truck back a ways so I could turn tight enough to make the back and I was in. All in all, it was kind of like the grown-up version of musical chairs.