Thursday, May 10, 2007

Benton, AR to New Braunfels, TX

Slept in until 5 AM this morning then tried to extricate myself from a ridiculously packed Pilot truck stop parking lot. There was only one entrance and exit (combined) so when someone stopped, or tried to back in to a spot, everything ground to a halt. Some people wonder why I avoid all Pilots except when I have to fuel at one.

The trip down I-30 to Dallas was uneventful until I tried going south on I-635 and that offramp was closed. Drove all the way to downtown and caught I-35E going south without too much hassle. It is amazing what six months of driving does to your perceptions in problem areas like narrow lanes in construction zones.

Fueled at our Lancaster terminal like a good boy. The parking lot was ripped up in a half dozen places for some reason or other which made navigating it a bit difficult. This light load is giving me over 8 MPG for a change which should help my flagging MPG average.

Finished the day in New Braunfels, TX, just north of San Antonio. Will be up around 4 AM tomorrow hopefully to finish the run down to Laredo, then "finish" it again by making the local delivery.