Thursday, April 19, 2007

Pride goeth before the fall (and its just barely spring...)

So I arrive this morning in Lawton, OK. The paper reprocessing plant is something like 8 miles off of the freeway and the road through town is INCREDIBLY bumpy. Not like pothole bumpy, like rolling concrete bumpy. Up one wave of asphalt, down the other side. Over and over again. Might be fun in a four-wheeler; not so much in a big rig.

You check in at the front gate using a telephone system, get weighed on their scale, then head around back to get in line for a dock. There are bales of paper everywhere, and not a whole lot of room to maneuver. For a newer driver like myself, this is a recipe for ego disaster: a difficult back, no choice of spot to back to, and doing it in front of other professional drivers.

View all Paper reprocessing plant pics


Would you believe I nailed it the first time? This is the end result, click here for a number of pictures I took to give you an idea what it was like. I had to make a wide right turn, about 220 degrees worth then angle the truck back into the spot -- and I did it better than anyone else at the dock! I had to work at keeping a self-satisfied grin off of my face as I went in with the paperwork.

After several hours of waiting I was unloaded so I pulled forward, got my trailer doors shut then headed off of the lot to await my next dispatch. Still basking in the afterglow of my newfound backing mastery, I decided to reorganize the upper bunk area of my truck so I can raise the bunk at night to give myself more room to relax in. I won't disgust the gentle reader with a picture or two; suffice it to say I had work to do.

After an hour or so there was progress made and I was ready to take a few items and put them into my driver's sidebox. A sidebox is a locked storage compartment you can access from outside your truck, so I grabbed my keys. Then I realized I had made a major boo-boo back in the plant.

Before I had backed into the dock I had taken off my load lock (think a very imposing hasp lock -- almost impossible to open without the key) and placed it on the back bumper of my trailer. When I left, I was in a bit of a hurry to free up the dock and neglected to ensure it was still in my possession. Did I mention the dock was about 1/4 mile inside the plant, behind chain link fence and a now-imposing line of about a dozen big rigs waiting to unload?

If you lose your lock the company will replace it, and you're out $40. Being relatively frugal, I wouldn't leave it without a struggle so I drove back to the front gate, parked my truck and asked security if I could walk to the dock to look for my lock. They agreed.

I scanned every inch of ground for a quarter mile as I walked to the dock, to no effect. I went in and talked with the dock workers to see if someone had turned it in; no joy. I looked under the truck that was now occupying that slot, but nothing was there but some trash. Crap, I thought: now I'm out the lock and a long walk back.

There was a small pile of trash behind the truck right up against the dock and I decided I wasn't above sorting through it when I caught a glimpse of something shiny... my load lock! I let out a triumphant cry and held it above like the father of Kunta Kinte in Roots, dancing a little jig. Then walked back to my truck.

So remember: pride goeth before the fall.